Enticing Lines & Stunning Acts


Below is Burke's vow for his wedding with Christina during season finale of Grey's Anatomy, Didn't we almost have it all?. The vow was delivered in a surgery room, right in front of Addison, Izzy and nurses, prior to his wedding.

“Christina, I could promise to hold you and to cherish you.
I could promise to be there in sickness and in health.
I could say ’till death d
o us part.
But I won’t.
Those vows are for optimistic couples.
The ones full of hope.
And I do not stand here, on my wedding day, optimistic or full of hope.
I am not optimistic, I am not hopeful.
I am sure, I am steady, and I know.
I am a heart man: I take them apart, I put them back together.
I hold them in my hands.
I am a heart man.
So this, I am sure.
You are my partner, my lover, my very best friend.
My heart, my heart, beats for you.
And on this day, the day of my wedding,
I promise you this:
I promise you to lay my heart in the palm of your hand.
I promise you ME.”

And Addison said,
"“Well, I think I speak for every woman in this room when I say: dump her, dump Yang, and marry me”.


This is an enchanting jaw between Maximilian and Horst during 3-minute recess in Detention Camp, in Bent (1997). They are standing next to each other and they are not allowed to move or even touch each other, in a freezing Winter, when Horst is having a bad cough.

"I want to make you happy," Max
"Then be gentle with me," Horst

"I don't know how," Max
"Just hold me," Horst

"I'm afraid to hold you," Max
"Don't be," Horst

"I'm afraid. I'm gonna drown," Max
"Hold me, please. Hold me," Horst

"Ok.." Max


"I'm holding you," Max
"Are you?" Horst

"You're here in my arms. I promise
I promise. I'm holding you. You're here," Max
"Touch me. Are you?" Horst

"Yes. Touching," Max
"Gently," Horst

"Touching...Softly," Max
"Warm me,"Horst

"Softly." Max
"Warm me gently." Horst

"Softly. I'm touching you softly.
Gently. You're safe.
I'll keep you safe and warm.
You're with me now
You'll never be cold again.
I'm holding you now.. safe...and warm.
As long as you're here, as long as you're with me, as long as I'm holding you.
You're safe!" Max


These two excerpts are taken from two different mediums of story-telling. One from the sexy-medical drama series, Grey's Anatomy, and another from a critically acclaimed film, starring Clive Owen and Lothaire Bluteau, Bent.
The lines expressed by Preston Burke are eloquently written, that give profound susceptibility in deciphering Burke's boundless love to Cristina. It makes Isiaah Washington's (Preston Burke) job easier in the scene, because the lines itself stand splendidly.
It's not an easy job to both Clive Owen and Lothaire Bluteau to evoke the audiences' emotions to feeling the scene abysmally, with such simple lines. However, Owen and Bluteau's exceptional style in acting bolsters the lines and makes the scene as one of my favorite scenes in most of the films I have ever watched.
The excerpts give me a lesson about good films, dramas or plays. No matter how bad your storyline is, as long as you have blue-ribbon actors and emotionally effective scripts, your films, dramas, or plays, will be satisfying arts.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

http://hmmlo.blogspot.com/2007/08/ive-been-tagged-by-kaklongnet.html

you have been tagged. Tell us about 8 random things abt urself.