Celebration of ordinary people

This is the latest oeuvres from Yoji Yamada I saw. Thank you to P. Midg for introducing Netflix to me! Super awesome! I've been watching Shakespeare's a lot since I registered.
Okay, back to the film.
Kabei - Our Mother is not like Yamada's brilliant samurai's trilogy - - Twilight Samurai, The Hidden Blade, and Love and Honor, but it hits all the right spots to make me cry like chopping onions. It still deals with Yamada's peculiar observations on humanity, especially family. This is a heart-wrenching tale of a family, in which the husband, a Japanese professor was imprisoned for "thought" crime. Yamada delicately made a searing attack on the stupidity of social system that retained many of the feudal traits of the period depicted in his trilogy. However, beyond these social issues, the story is well-knead to make it a rewarding exploration of a family resilience in the face of distress.
Often when I watch films, I do not always look for brilliant acting, amazing sound effects, beautiful cinematography, etc. Only if the film could move me, then I could start talking about those aspects. Kabei is such an amazing piece for me when I could relate myself to it. It's remarkable that when you watch a film that depicts the actual feelings or stories of humanity, everybody is able to relate themselves in any ways.

p/s: This post could give a glimpse about the film.


0 comments: